Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Further Reading: Gods Tomorrow

Back when I was first writing Gods Tomorrow I came across an Ars Technica book review for a couple books about the people collect data about us today, and they way they're going to use that data to shape our future. Obviously, that's a direct predecessor of the Hathor in my story, so it caught my interest. I ended up ordering both books through Amazon.

Last night, I cracked open the first of them, The Numerati by Steve Baker. It's amazing. He's a journalist and this book is the result of his dedicated research into several fields that are trying to generate predictive mathematical models of real people (specifically, us). He presents it as a relatively casual narrative to a general audience, though (again, us).

I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in the themes that inspired the Gods Tomorrow future. It's fascinating, and probably incredibly useful information for all of us going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment