Thursday, August 6, 2009

Project Report: Ghost Targets: Restraint

There's not a lot I can say about the plot of Restraint without spoiling the ending of Gods Tomorrow (for the two people I know who I haven't made read it). However, by way of brief synopsis, Restraint picks up the Ghost Targets story three months after the events of Expectation. When new blackouts begin appearing in the Hathor database, Katie is forced to deal with an old nemesis to find out how to stop it. Along the way, she finds herself immersed in the shady world of private prisons, where exemption from Hathor monitoring leaves the world's worst offenders out of sight -- and their keepers unaccountable.

I've been working on Restraint for several months now -- since about three weeks after I completed Expectation. All my prewriting is done, including a scene-by-scene detailed outline, and I've got about 15,000 words into the actual novel.

In addition to the plot elements listed above, Restraint introduces us to another member of the Ghost Targets team: Phillips, whose name we heard mentioned in Gods Tomorrow. I've had a lot of fun developing Phillips's character and getting to see him behave badly on the page. That's really been the highlight of the novel so far.

I hope to have Restraint finished in time to start on Burn Jump for National Novel Writing Month, but I've got a busy fall coming up. Still, I'll keep you posted.

Status: Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment