Friday, February 6, 2009

Project Report: Programming

Now, with the Gods Tomorrow sequels, I intend to do separate posts for each individual book in the future, but because I've been lax up to now, I wanted to do one bulk post to use as a starting point.

I intended to do the same thing with my programming projects, but somewhere around the end of the second project (out of five) I was probably already pushing fifteen pages, so I decided to break them up. So this is just an overview introduction.

The current programming projects I'm working on masquerade under these titles:
  • TourGuide is a WoW Addon that helps players level character faster by following ideal quest circuits in-game.
  • Movie Hoard is an XBMC Plugin that indexes all my various media files, downloads supplemental data wherever possible, and presents it all in a fast, easy client in XBox Media Center.
  • Travelocity Researcher is a web scraper the gathers rate comparisons for rental cars on Travelocity.com and saves them in an easy-to-use file format on the local hard drive.
  • OBDMultibox is a WoW Addon that facilitates "multi-boxing," which is the process of controlling two character in-game at the same time.
  • Midas is financial software that tracks my spending and helps me predict my future financial status, as well as monitoring "virtual rolling balances" such as allowances and car maintenance balances within my single bank balance.
I'll take them in that order with individual posts.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the post made some good points on web scrapers, I use python for simple web scrapers, data extraction can be a time consuming process but for larger projects like the web, files, or documents i tried "web scrapers" which worked great, they build quick custom screen scrapers, web scrapers, and data parsing programs

    ReplyDelete