Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Project Report: The MaskedFox Memory Game

A couple months ago, Toby and I started talking about making a learning game for AB that would teach her how to use maps. That project (like so many of ours) fell apart when we ran into a need for 3D models, but while I was still thinking in terms of writing an educational game, we started playing a card-matching memory game with AB that was a lot of work to set up.

One day over lunch I talked with Toby about the possibility of writing a computerized version of the same game, and he had a working prototype of it for me by the next morning. I spent a couple days gathering some Creative Commons art and sound effects and then polishing the framework - and then parts of the next month tweaking settings here and there - but the whole project probably took less than a hundred hours of total programming time.

It's a fully functional Memory game (complete with a settings panel to let you tweak which card set you want to use, and how easy/difficult you want the game to be), with a surprisingly robust matching system that allows Flash Cards (that is, non-identical pairs) and easy importing of custom card sets.

I'm not completely done with it. Most notably, I'd like to add support for audio cards, with a simple interface to create new ones. Still, the whole game is there with this release, so I'm prepared to call it complete.

You can find the game (as well as installation instructions) on the website.

Status: Stable, v. 1.0

No comments:

Post a Comment